Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Hello, Internet

Not every girl can say group therapy helped her realize her blogging ambitions.

This afternoon, my fellow patients and I were discussing long-term goals. Dialectical behavioral therapy preaches that while it's positive to objectives for the future, it's important to break them down into small, manageable steps. It really seems to work for some people, and the group's response reflected as much. Paranoid overthinker that I am, I mentioned my goal of wanting to work in television someday, and how breaking that down seems impossible. I've always been forced to sit tight after sending resumes into the ether. And my efforts don't feel like they're taking me anywhere.

So our group leader, whom I'll call J., recommended that while career goals are great, I needn't stress. And that these steps take a while. In the meantime, I could do something to de-emphasize the strain I place on myself. Probably good advice. As I stared at the David Hockney print on the wall, I thought, why not write? Not something on Microsoft Word that I obsess over for months, but something quick. Hopefully relevant. About things I love. And, most importantly, for me.

So in these vast emptiness that is a new blog, you can expect to read about the following - cooking, TV shows, books I'm reading, psychotherapy, NPR, restaurants, art, college - and things I've not thought up yet. I hope you enjoy it.

4 comments:

Zeld said...

Is the title from "Sunken Treasure"?

nganguli said...

No - I racked my brain trying to think of one, though, since everything good is taken. Thought this was a familiar enough phrase.
I digress - what's "Sunken Treasure"?

Zeld said...

A Wilco song.

There are rows and rows of house
With windows painted blue
With the light from the TV
Runnin' parallel to you
But there is no sunken treasure
Rumored to be
Wrapped inside my ribs
In a sea black with ink


Yes, I <3 Wilco and highly recommend it!

nganguli said...

Oh, cool. I never really got into them, though the snippets I've heard of their music over time seem great.